- The length corresponds to height, they vary from 6" to 16".
- Phoenix feather (Harry & Voldemort's wands) is one of the rarest core types. They are capable of the greatest range of magic. They show the most initiative, sometimes acting of their own accord. Phoenix feather wands are always the pickiest when it comes to potential owners, for the creature from which they are taken is one of the most independent and detached in the world. These wands are the hardest to tame and to personalise, and their allegiance is usually hard won
- Dragon heartstring (Hermione, Viktor Krum, Bellatrix Lestrange & Lucius Malfoy) produces very powerful wands, and which are capable of the most flamboyant spells and tend to learn more quickly than other types. While they can change allegiance if won from their original master, they always bond strongly with the current owner. Unicorn hair generally produces the most consistent magic, and is least subject to fluctuations and blockages.
- Unicorn hair (Ron, Cedric Diggory, Neville Longbottom, Draco Malfoy & Charlie Weasley) is generally the most difficult to turn to the Dark Arts. They are the most faithful of all wands, and usually remain strongly attached to their first owner
- Veela hair (Fleur Delacour) is temperamental.
dec 22 2010 ∞
dec 21 2011 +