- "Listen to the silence. Stay open to the spirit."
- "Slow me down, Lord"
- "Plato spoke of the necessity for divine madness in the poet. It is a frightening thing to open oneself to this strange and dark side of the divine; it means letting go our sane self control, that control which gives us the illusion of safety. But safety is only an illusion, and letting it go is part of listening to the silence, and to the spirit."
had not lost her child's creative acceptance of the realities moving on the other side of everyday world. We lose our tragic ability to see angels as we grow older, and that is a tragic loss."
- "Plato talks of all learning as remembering. The chief job of the teacher is to help us to remember all that we have forgotten."
- To be a witness does not consist in engaging in propaganda, nor even stirring people up, but in being a LIVING MYSTERY. It means to live in such a way that one's life would not make sense if God did not exist."
- "To be truly Christian means to see Christ everywhere, to know him as all in all."
- "We live by revelations, as Christians, as artists, which means we must be careful never to get set into rigid molds. The minute we begin to think we know all the answers, we forget all the questions and we become like the pharisee who listed all his considerable virtues, and thanked God that he was not like other men."
- " You are looking outward, and that above all you should not do now. NOBODY CAN COUNSEL AND HELP YOU, NOBODY. There is only one single way. Go into yourself. Search for the reason which bids you to write..."
- " In reading we must become creators. Once the child has learned to read alone, and can pick up a book without illustrations, he must become a creator imagining the setting of a story, visualizing the characters, seeing facial expressions, hearing the inflation of voices. The author and the reader need to know each other. They meet on a bridge of words."
- "In the act of creativity, the artist must let go the self control which he normally clings to, and is open to riding the wind."
- "In a very real sense not one of us is qualified, but it seems that God constantly chooses the most unqualified to do his work, to bear his glory."
- " And as I set down the word mediate, I realized that it is part of the word immediate, that place of now, where past and future come together."
- "But as Christians, we may choose to live by the most glorious impossibles."
- " I want to be open to revelation, to new life, to new birth, to new light. Revelation. Listening. Humility. Remember- the root word of humble and human is the same: humus: earth. We are dust. We are created; it is God who made us and not we ourselves. But we are made to be co-creators with our maker."
jul 18 2011 ∞
jul 18 2011 +