- Art Institute
- Scence and Industry
- Field Museum (science and natural history)
- about a zillion more
- architectural boat tour
- Farnsworth House
- Frank Lloyd Wright home and studio
- just look up wherever you go
- lakefront beaches and trails
- Promontory Point, North Ave. beach
- Glazed and Infused
dec 5 2016 ∞
dec 5 2016 +
oct 11 2013 ∞
mar 23 2014 +
- Inside Man (2006)
- Flypaper (2011)
- The Maiden Heist (2009)
- The Italian Job (2003)
- The Escapist (2008)
- The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
- The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)
jun 15 2013 ∞
jun 15 2013 +
- do laundry every week, thereby keeping a clean room
- more books, less internet
- live within an appropriate budget, including tithing and saving
- focus on my health
- more wilderness exploration
- read through the New Testament
- spend quiet, intentional time in prayer
- be a part of foreign missions: pray, give, go
- make more things with my hands
- get more tattoos
- aim higher at work
- be more responsible
- fall in love with Jesus
jan 2 2013 ∞
jan 2 2013 +
general pet peeves:
- improper use of blinkers (turning it on too early, too late, or not at all, or not turning it off, etc.)
- poor customer service
- when internet links don't open up into new tabs
- people touching my arms
- not enough outlets in an apartment
things that make me cringe:
- Curlz font
- metal spoons on my teeth
- unoriginal weddings (especially unity candles)
things i REALLY just can't handle:
- meat still on the bone
- loading cold dirty dishes into the dishwasher
nov 14 2011 ∞
may 24 2012 +
- fish hook
- illustration by marc johns or shel silversein
- painting by kirra jamison
- woodland creature: owl, deer, woodpecker, fox, bear
- the Berliner bear in CMYK
- "forgiven" or "redeemed" in super fun/fancy/cute handwriting
- mockingbird, dad.
- quote, along the lines of "you are completely remarkable"
- chandelier on neck
- needle & thread - you hem me in
feb 11 2011 ∞
feb 3 2013 +
- Peony - coral charm, blush, festiva, coral supreme, coral sunset
- Calla, especially in fun colors
- Magnolia Grandiflora
- Yarrow, queen anne's lace, baby's breath, etc.
- Nerine - like tiny irises! :)
- Cabbage roses
- Roses that smell REALLY REALLY good or have different colored tips
aug 2 2011 ∞
sep 7 2016 +
- Good design is innovative.
- Good design makes a product useful.
- Good design is aesthetic.
- Good design makes a product understandable.
- Good design is unobtrusive.
- Good design is honest.
- Good design is long-lasting.
- Good design is thorough down to the last detail.
- Good design is environmentally friendly.
- Good design is as little design as possible.
Dieter Rams (1985)
aug 19 2010 ∞
aug 19 2010 +
- tend to give up and cry when things get hard
- often forget meetings with important people
- general lack of responsibility
feb 8 2011 ∞
may 21 2012 +
- I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way--things I had no words for. Georgia O'Keeffe
- It is not the form that dictates the color, but the color that brings out the form. Hans Hoffmann
- Color is my day-long obsession, joy, and torment. Claude Monet
- Any work of architecture which does not express serenity is a mistake. Luis Barragan
- Architecture is about the nothingness of space. Ted Naos
- We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. Winston Churchill
- Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance. Carl Sandburg
- Death is the ugly fact which nature has to hide, and she hides it well. Alexander Smith
- A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells, the less you know. "The Brothers Bloom"
- Every man is the architect of his own fut... fortune cookie
aug 21 2009 ∞
feb 27 2012 +
from Sarah's list[http://listography.com/sbxcx3/relationsh...] : not necessarily dates
- grocery shopping / farmers' market
- camping +/ hiking together
- riding our bikes in the country
- a picnic
- road trip
- watching movies together on the couch
- designing and working together
- laying in a hammock by the water
- going to church
- visiting a museum
- sitting on the floor and eating pizza together
- him showing me the place he works
- cooking together
- moving furniture
- changing the sheets on our bed (yes, that is incredibly lame. i know. i'm short and it's hard to do alone.)
- eating watermelon in the backyard
- walking our dog
mar 27 2010 ∞
jul 17 2013 +
Nature print-esque, not stylized.
- road runners
- turtles (as opposed to frogs)
- tartan-esque plaids
jan 19 2010 ∞
jul 24 2013 +
- west texas rainy days
- Barbie and Joe's old house
- the ocean, after I've been away a long time
- Vanilla, when she dries in the sunshine after a bath
- freshly mowed grass, and the man who mowed it
- gardenia bushes
- my mother's perfume
- the river
- the mountains
- lavender, patchouli, lemon verbena
- under-boob smell, or junksweat
apr 22 2008 ∞
jul 17 2011 +
I hate eating plain, raw tomatoes.
- Ketchup: the best was at Azul, a cafe in Austin that's closed now
- Roasted whole: at Pasha in San Antonio
- Grilled: at home, and on BLTs everywhere
- Tomato soup: at home
- Salsa/picante/pico de gallo/etc.: homemade is always best, but Fuzzy's Tacos in Lubbock has great salsa.
- As an ingredient in soups: mmm, Italian
- As art: they're just so bright and pretty!
- At the market: they're just so bright and pretty!
- In spaghetti sauce: thanks but no thanks, Olive Garden.
- In/on pizzas: fresh tomatoes are a delicious topping!
- Sundried: in all sorts of things!
- In guacamole: but not too chunky
jan 5 2010 ∞
jan 6 2010 +
- Gene Hackman's voice
- static (the record player kind)
- french horn rips
- underwater noises
- fresh snow crunching under my feet
- a group of believers worshiping together
- my head hitting my pillow
- my own fingernails rapping on a surface
- approaching trains
- crackling fire
- my wet hair swishing on my ears
- these words:
- musical instruments out of tune
- plastic crinkling (like grocery bags and chip bags)
- audio feedback
feb 20 2009 ∞
apr 23 2016 +
- Salary. Only employ as many people as you can afford to pay a livable salary.
- Buy your employees lunch every now and then! Or all the time!
- 20+ paid vacation days/year
- lots and lots of maternity leave, paid if possible!
- good healthcare/doctors
- cheap healthcare options, even/especially for part-time employees
Environment + People Management + Working Together
- Be a servant leader. Be 100% willing to do the most menial tasks.
- Treat people like they matter. Customers and employees are both people.
- Recognize leadership in others; hone and encourage it.
- Evaluate folks (leaders especially) on th...
mar 31 2017 ∞
mar 31 2017 +
- Rikki Tikki Tavi, Rudyard Kipling
- Grimm's Fairy Tales
- The Call of the Wild, Jack London
- Holes, Louis Sachar
- Frindle, Andrew Clements
- Where The Wild Things Are, Maurice Sendak
- The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis
- all Shel Silverstein books
- Chrysanthemum, and Owen, Kevin Henkes
sep 24 2016 ∞
dec 2 2016 +
- Yoga in the park
- Full moon bike ride
- Free ice skating rink in the winter
- First Fridays
- Maroon Bells
- Hanging Lake
- Mushroom Rock
- Stand-up Paddleboarding - Ruedi Reservoir
- Mount Sopris
- Community garden at The Orchard
- Bike path + Rio Grande Trail
- Bonedale Bike Week
- Random cattle drives through town
- Steve's Guitars
- Third Street Center + PAC3
- Crystal Theater
- Mountain Fair!
jul 23 2013 ∞
mar 8 2015 +
- musty Christmas decorations
- fresh potting mix
- pencil shavings
- apple pie
may 24 2013 ∞
jul 21 2013 +
- (NYE, 2011) Hyundai Santa Fe, which I love
- hanging out with All The Cousins for Grandmother's funeral
- Moving to Carbondale
- Allie and Riley got engaged!
- camping, Labor Day weekend, at Flat Tops with the Sabos, et al.
- starting a new job at Whole Foods!
- meeting Lucy, James and Kim's new puppy!
- getting work boots for my birthday!
- apple picking, fresh-pressed cider, and my first caramel apple in October
Not So Good:
- first real job, not so hot, but a solid learning experience
- my tiny plant died. :(
- (NYE, 2012) being T-boned by an 18-wheeler, thereby totaling the Santa Fe
mar 24 2012 ∞
jul 25 2013 +
- Jeannie Binder
- Ryann Matthews
- Tawny Mills
- Mary Clair Thompson
- Daisy Dominguez
- Kathleen Chang
- Christine Pennington
- Kara Montie
- Kelsey Sprowell
- Danielle Boyle
- Melanie Poole
- Tucker Wright
mar 3 2010 ∞
apr 23 2016 +
- like a waterfall in slow motion, like a map with no ocean // Feist - Limit To Your Love
- such breathtaking views of Scythian Empires // Andrew Bird
- I found myself attached to this railroad track, but I'll come back to you some day // First Aid Kit / Ghost Town
- we made a vow to the holy cow // Kaiser Chiefs / Always Happens Like That
- This is not the sound of a new man or crispy realization // Bon Iver
- Love, it will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free, to be more like the man you were made to be // Mumford & Sons / Sigh No More
- with grace in your heart and flowers in your hair // M&S / After the Storm
- I'm walking backwards to the place where I come from, but that ain't enough, no; you want me to run // M. Ward / Carolina
- crispy, crispy Benjamin Franklin came over, babysat all four of my kids // Regina Spektor / Chemo Limo
oct 13 2010 ∞
aug 31 2011 +
- get a tattoo
- ✔ graduate with a bachelor's in Architecture
- ✔ go to Europe
- ✔ go to california
- grow in faith
jan 24 2010 ∞
jan 29 2011 +
- Olaf Hajek
- Kirra Jamison
- Marc Johns
- the moustaches chased him zealously
- moustaches on strings are the finest of things
- tis quite enjoyable to be an elephant
- the aesthetics of long underwear
- hand-drawn pixels
- if i tell you these are mountains
- talk less and scribble more
- more top hats please
- this one is better
- world famous drawings
apr 11 2010 ∞
oct 19 2010 +
- rock climbing
- whitewater rafting
- riding a motorcycle
- making webpages
- restoring furniture
- candle making - poured from a teapot!
- making art in suitcases
- quilting - learn from mom
- shooting a gun
jan 5 2010 ∞
feb 24 2017 +
- Karen - The National
- Karen - The Go-Betweens
- Karen - Doves
- Karen By Night - Jill Sobule
- Karen - The Surfaris
- Karen - The Rip Chords
- Tunic (Song for Karen) - Sonic Youth
- Karen Koltrane - Sonic Youth
- Karen Revisited - Sonic Youth
- Karen - Hefner
- Karen - The Trouble With Sweeney
- Carolina In My Mind - James Taylor
- Short Skirt / Long Jacket - Cake
apr 26 2009 ∞
mar 27 2010 +
Don't judge me.
- The Preacher's Wife (1996)
- Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
- The Family Stone (2005)
- Love Actually (2003)
- White Christmas (1954)
- Home Alone (1990)
- Elf (2003)
- The Holiday (2006)
dec 2 2016 ∞
dec 2 2016 +
For your benefit:
- If you know you're going to freeze something (like meat, fish or bread) anyway, ask the grocer if they have some still frozen from the distributor. Re-freezing isn't recommended, and stock often comes in frozen, then the grocer has to thaw it to put it on the shelf.
- Bring your own grocery bags. Reusable bags are sturdier and can hold more items, often with better insulation than paper or plastic. Also, bring a variety of bags: squarish bags are better for dry goods and boxy items, while simple sack shapes are great for holding produce that fits loosely together.
- Always clip coupons for items you know you're going to buy. Why not?
- Learn to watch for items on sale (perhaps a brand that's new for you) and items that may not be on sale much longer. Pay at...
jul 24 2013 ∞
jul 24 2013 +
- observant (of people)
- encouraging to others
- slow to anger
jun 13 2013 ∞
aug 14 2013 +
- moving in with Meredith, Scott, and Brian
- my first succulent :)
- Maroon Bells hike, 5/31, with Kara and Katie Montie
- Joining Connect, the young adults' group at Chad and Bonnie Webb's house
- watching roller derby for the first time
- getting to know the students at the Orchard
- Cari and Kane moving in
- Successful year without a car!
- Dance, Dance, Dance - Lykke Li
- Pompeii - Bastille
- Lord, I Need You - Matt Maher
- Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) - Hillsong United
- The Stable Song - Gregory Alan Isakov
jan 2 2013 ∞
jan 19 2014 +
- Homemade cookies, rice crispy treats or brownies
- Tea, hot chocolate or coffee
- Popcorn (consider sending an air popper)
- Dried fruit
- Cereal or instant oatmeal
- Healthy snack bars
- Ramen noodles
- Mac ‘n cheese
- Favorite easy-to-make recipes
HEALTH AND PERSONAL CARE
- Cold and flu medicine
- Vitamins, vitamin C drink mix, and zinc lozenges
- Lip balm
- Favorite toiletry items
- Quarters for laundry (if laundry facility uses coins)
oct 27 2011 ∞
oct 27 2011 +
First Dance Possibilities:
- Set Me As A Seal - Matt Maher
- Just Like We Do - Eisley
- First Day of My Life - Bright Eyes
- Today - Joshua Radin
- Love Never Fails - Brandon Heath
- Islands In the Stream - Feist + the Constantines
- Rave On - M. Ward + Zooey Deschanel
- Come To Me - South Austin Jug Band
- Somebody Loved - The Weepies
- Skinny Love - Bon Iver
- You and I - Wilco
- Sea of Love - Cat Power
- That's Where It's At - Sam Cooke
- Baby I'm Yours - Arctic Monkeys
- Let's Do It (Let's Fall In Love) - Cole Porter
- Make You Feel My Love - Neil Diamond
- Wine We Drink - Drew Holcomb & the Neighbors
jul 13 2011 ∞
sep 7 2016 +
- knowing my student's papers by their handwriting when I was a TA.
- the cracked yellow glass in the bathroom door at my cousins' old house.
- Sunday School at LBC.
- the Randi+Libby+Tawny+Karen team.
- middle school and high school teachers.
- Mom's weird beverage concoctions
- sitting in a quiet studio on Friday nights in undergrad
- Grandmother's house in Kermit
- the yellow glider
- the Woodsies and the bottom dresser drawer full of toys
- reading Ookie
- marshmallows in the kitchen drawer and cereal inside the oven and holiday salad
- the "Living Room"
mar 1 2010 ∞
dec 5 2015 +
taken from Bliss[http://listography.com/1854400404/modes_...]
- my feet
- motor boat
- cog railway to pike's peak, CO
- City bus public transit
- escalator + those moving walkways
- big yellow bus every day for grades 1-3 and 6-8
- whitewater raft
- rolling chair
- inner tube on the river!
- zip line
- roller blades
- ice skates
- roller coaster
feb 5 2010 ∞
mar 5 2017 +
- Go with the flow. Don't worry about every little thing.
- Play good music for them. Sing to them.
- learn how to talk to them about hard things. Help them understand by being a loving parent, and respect their processes.
- Give them original or family names, but short ones that are easy to spell, or ensure that they have good nicknames.
- Don't try to be too quiet while they sleep: they'll never be able to sleep through the night.
- Foster their creativity and imagination at every step: let them draw on their bedroom walls, dress themselves, read to you. Hang their art from every surface in your house.
- Tell them how much you love them and how beautiful they are every single day.
- Try not to yell at them; they're just kids.
feb 23 2010 ∞
dec 5 2015 +
- winter sports
- the Air Force
- bbq (grilling) and good beer
- appearances, especially involving he and Kim's future
- making Kim happy
- Thomas Kincade, excuse me while I barf
- money management and investment
- knowing how to do things right
- old things, like stuff with a family history
- key lime pie
- orange danish breakfast rolls
- playing with Vanilla
- calling with good news
- Michael Crichton and John Grisham novels
jan 23 2010 ∞
oct 19 2010 +
- James and I
- teaching little ones
- her kitchen theme of blue/yellow + roosters
- sharing snacks with Vanilla
- taking care of others
- popcorn with butter
- having her house full of my stuff
- corned beef
- her appliances
- the color orange
jan 23 2010 ∞
aug 11 2011 +
- aviator sunglasses, afternoon sex, apple juice, accents, a good bowel movement
- birds, barbecues, Blue Bell homemade vanilla, blushing at my own thoughts, brushing my teeth, buttons, bare feet, boats, bike lanes, beards, belaying, braiding my hair
- chapstick, chai lattes, color names, christmas songs, camping, cardigan sweaters, comfortable silences, clean sheets, cleaning out my ears with a q-tip, cowboys, correct punctuation, cotton, cows, cheese, crunching ice on sidewalks
- doing nice things for others, dreams, dancing to great music, drinking glasses, dresses with pockets, driftwood, déjà vu, dryer lint, dirt roads
- ethnic foods, exercising, entomology
- fishing, forehead kisses, farmers' markets, fake names, fireflies, freckles, flora and fauna, facial hair, film photography...
dec 12 2009 ∞
dec 5 2015 +
- Attend an entire film festival (i.e. Sundance, Cannes, Toronto, SxSW).
- Own an electric car.
- Frame my own art, maybe sell some.
- Write something that's not too crappy to be published.
- ✔ Run a 5k (hey, gotta start small).
- Inspire someone.
- Have a very large, very green (or orange or purple) object in my house, like a staircase or refrigerator or kitchen sink.
- Use some kind of membership to its full potential.
- ✔ Have my heart broken.
- Name a kid, preferably my own.
- Learn to drive stick-shift.
- Have house plants.
- Wear white pants without looking dumb or fat or slutty.
- Build a tree house.
- Visit every continent.
jan 25 2009 ∞
jul 25 2013 +